Search This Blog

Friday, February 9, 2018

Gauge - It's Much More Than a Number

I've just finished Banging out a Carbeth.



The original design was knit with a double strand of Buachaille, a yarn that I have yet to have the pleasure of working with - therefore I don't know it's particular qualities.
The pattern gauge is stated as 3.5 stitches to the inch.  

What is unknown is the actual fluidity of that fabric - that best suits the design 
as it was intended.


Two Swatches


Log Cabin A Long with Rowan Kid Silk Haze
(a swatch that just happens to be right here)


Carbeth with Quince Osprey

Both of these fabrics measure approximately 4 stitches to the inch, 
but are a world apart in everything else.

Just where am I going with this?  
As happy as I am with my dense-ish fabric sweater, 
I think that I would have LOVED a lighter weight yarn knit in a more open stitch.


 Perhaps this beautiful Romney Worsted from Prado de Lana?
It's perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment