Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Burg

I want to talk a bit about Burg, the wrap I designed for the 
Virginia Knits Virginia Yarn Crawl -


The stitch repeat is the same as my Infinitely Alice Cowl
Except knit flat.  
Oh, and with picots.  And as a triangle...

The yarn was beautifully dyed for the shop by Aimee of Little Fox Yarn 
in her lovely wool and silk base, Vixen, which is a favorite of mine.  
You may recall this and these.


Now, I'm knitting a larger, picot-less version out of a warm and haloed 
Sulka Nina, a wool, alpaca and silk single ply chosen from a beautiful heathered palette.

I did not swatch.

Because of the shape of the pattern - cast on a handful and begin to increase, I just used the needle that I thought would give me a moderate fabric. 
I wanted stitch definition and stability with a bit of the looseness needed for some drape.
I'm estimating that I will want to use 3 skeins, but I do have a 4th (and 5th) on standby.
The gauge is not considerably larger than the fingering weight, nor is it as airy.


Haley has just begun the picot version out of a secret wool and silk single ply.
The top image is freshly knit.
The bottom is the same piece carefully steamed.


Although the pattern uses a fingering weight, 
it will be super to have versions made with lighter and heavier yarns.

No comments:

Post a Comment